It would be difficult to imagine where the town of Golden once stood. Golden was quite the mining town in its days. In 1887 prospectors discovered some outcrops of rotten oxidized quarts to the west of Wannacut Lake, and the quarts was laced with "free gold." It was a magnificent find, and almost overnight a stampede of hundreds of prospectors streamed into the region.
On the strength of these findings a mining town sprang to life and by 1892 more then thirty buildings stood on the flat between the mines and Wannacut Lake. The area held high hopes then, so it was only fitting that the mining town was called "Golden."